Simon Mayor & Hilary James
Saturday, 8th February 2020
In The Club
SIMON & HILARY Across Britain from Shetland to Sark, and across the globe from Vancouver to Singapore, Simon Mayor and Hilary James have brought their special blend of dazzling musicianship.
If they have a speciality, it’s an ability to combine a truly diverse array of talents into a hugely entertaining stage show. There can’t be many performers who slide easi≠ly from a beautifully evocative Irish ballad into a mandolin and guitar version of Handel’s Arrival Of the Queen Of Sheba and then have the audience singing one of their own notorious comic songs, but it’s this wry humour and an easy, informal stage manner that holds it all together.
The duo’s musical diversity has led to an equally broad range of festival invitations from Henley Classical Music Festival (England) to the Stephen Leacock Humour Festival (Canada), the Vancouver Folk Festival and countless folk and Celtic festivals throughout the world.
Hilary James’ ‘elegant singing’ (Daily Telegraph) has received huge acclaim: quintessentially English but easily crossing the great musical divides from Celtic ballads to blues and Berlioz. She’s famed too for an unlikely taste in bass instruments (she could turn up with her giant mandobass or slimline semi-acoustic double bass), accompanying Simon on guitar on anything from Vivaldi to bluegrass and even managing a step dance if the wind is in the right direction.
Simon Mayor started out as a guitarist and fiddler, but his current position as one of the world’s foremost mandolinists (and composer for the instrument) has led to an ever increasing number of invitations to play and teach at festivals and conventions (most recently the Classical Mandolin Society of America in 1999). Since 1990, his Mandolin Albums have been applauded in Celtic and classical circles alike.
Newnham Club is a social and sports club situated in a fine building in the centre of the village. In addition to the bar and a family friendly atmosphere it offers a number of activities including skittles darts, snooker, pool, a garden with a barbecue and an area where you can watch televised sport. It also has a large function room with a bar that can cater for a wide range of events.
The management of the Club is overseen by a Committee which is elected annually by its members. The Club is situated on the High Street in close proximity to the Town Clock. The building was constructed in 1849 for Subscription Rooms and is built of brick faced with stucco and has a neo-classical front with a recessed Doric porch. The land was purchased in 1848 for £310; the existing buildings were demolished and the Subscription Rooms and cottage erected at a cost of £1,750. It was funded by 25 undivided shares held in trust, each of the shareholders contributing £70 towards the cost. The Subscription Rooms were run by a Committee for the purpose of magisterial meetings, County Courts and concerts, plus any other public or private functions as agreed by the Committee. It also had designated lecture and reading rooms. The shares changed hands as time progressed but by 1879 Samuel Wilkinson Woods obtained all of the shares and the Subscription Rooms were conveyed to him. It appears that it was about this time when the building then became known as the Town Hall. Ownership of the building remained with the Woods family until 1920 when it was sold by the Misses Charlotte Emma and Mabel Kate Woods to the Trustees for the Newnham Branch of the Comrades of the Great War.
The Committee of the Comrades Club had resolved to purchase the premises at its meeting held on 5th June 1920 for a sum of £1,550. The Trustees to hold the premises known as “The Town Hall” together with the Cottage and Garden upon trust for the Members of the Club.It was renamed the Comrades Hall but by 1939 had become Newnham Club as it is known today. Newnham Club has a membership that includes people from varying age groups and interests and is used both by individuals and members of teams and groups including Skittles teams and the Newnham Players
The Club welcomes members both old and new, so if you are interested in joining, just visiting the village or wishing to hire the function rooms, please call in or contact our affable Manager Glenn Jones who will be more than happy to help.
The bar opening hours are as follows:
Monday to Thursday 5:00 to 11:00pm
Friday 12:00 noon to 2:00pm and 5:00 to 11:00pm
Saturday 12:00 noon to 11:00pm
Sunday 12:00 noon to 10:30 pm
Contact: 01594 516379
Download membership form: NEWNHAM-CLUB-MEMBERSHIP-FORM-2019